Monday, June 28, 2010

Grandma Junie turns 90!

So as far as grandmas go, I really hit the jackpot with mine. My mom's mom, Grandma Margaret, lives in California, has 7 children, countless grandchildren, and will be turning 90 in January. She still goes on cruises and travels around like she's got nothing holding her back. She's hilarious and a main contributor to my red hair. She's a firery redhead that'll love you with everything she's got and put you in your place all in one breath. Gotta love that. My dad's mom is Grandma June, and she had her 90th birthday Saturday June 26. She has 11 children, and a whole heckofalot of grand/great grand children. Up until a few years ago, she'd greet her guests at the front door with the energy of a 20something, and have her Heineken in her coozie just the same. But, let's face it, having 11 children and triple as many grandchildren can make one very tired. So now her guests come to her, as they should! She's about as Southern as they get, and has some incredible stories to tell. If I tried to list all of her accomplishments or impressive stories, I'd be here all day. So I'll just tell you this: She's an amazing lady, who has led an admirable life, and has raised 11 children that make her so proud. She's the Head of this big Irish family, and Saturday, we all gathered at my parents house (my dad being the oldest of the 11) and joyously celebrated her long, blessed life.

gma2

Each family was able to take pictures with her, and she sat there and smiled like she was Angelina Jolie, but with much less attitude. She was glowing, and was the perfect subject for celebration. Here is a few with all of her children. 6 boys and 5 girls. Goodness.

sisters2

328

whole clan

355

Then, there was this cake. Holy moley, spicy guacamole. This cake was enormous and oh so delicious. MMMmmmm.... Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate....butter cream..... raspberry filling... deee-lish-us.

cake


I have to share a few favorites from the day. One of all of my brothers and sisters and mom and dad and grandma! (Sean, Me, Colleen, Mom, Dad, Danny, Kelly, Robin, and Grandma June in the front) Shout out to my ah-mazing hubs for taking such a darn good picture!

688

My ridiculously good-looking niece, Cailin.

cailin

And my also ridiculously good-looking nephew, D.J. I'll be doing his senior portraits very soon, and I can't wait. He's all looking like a grown up these days, so I don't know how I'm going to handle "Senior portraits" but I'm going to do my best.

dj

She still parties. Total 90 year old rock star.

katy

And my gorgeous mom. She's just the very best Mom you could ask for, and everything I hope I can be to my girls.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment